Re: lynx-dev lynx.exe

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx.exe
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:53:44 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Fiber McGee wrote:

> The message below from "Robert C. Vande Hey"
> <address@hidden> was forwarded by one
> of the list maintainers.
>
> >         Before Windows I used Lynx to browse the internet.  Because of
> > its fastness I wished to see if I could browse with Lynx again.
> >
> >         I downloaded "lynx_w32.2.8.2rel.1" but when I click on "lynx.exe"
> > (which I see is the one modified 6/14/99 having 1,055KB) I see popping up
> > a window with the heading "lynx" and on a gray-colored screen the
> > information "Alert: Unable to access document" and then on a black
> > DOS-like background white text giving a flashing glimpse of what appears
> > to be commands (maybe? "looking for"?).
> >
> >         Do you have any idea of what is going on, what I missed doing,
> > and how I can browse again with Lynx?

Two comments. First, you shouldn't be clicking on lynx.exe. It looks
like you downloaded the file from Wayne Buttles' site at fdisk.com.
If so, please see his readme file. You need to make a lynx.bat file
which sets variables like HOME and LYNX_CFG to have this work well.
Second, the file that you downloaded is quite old. Many bugs have been
found and improvements made since then. Consider getting one of the
newer versions. Pointers to three different ports of lynx to Win9x can
be found on my web site. I would suggest starting with the version
distributed by Jim Spath. It contains the most detailed instructions
on first-time setup. Hiroyuki Senshu's version works well, but it is
configured by default for Japanese, so you will need to change the
defaults to the English files in his distribution if you aren't set up
to use Japanese.
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html";
                              Doug
__