lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:28:53 +0200

The attached message is from debian-users and the problem
raised therein seems like a bug in Lynx 2.8.4.

I am attaching both the original poster's question as well as
my answer to it

Regards,

Morten

--
Ginsburg's Law:
        At the precise moment you take off your shoe in a shoe store, your

Does the following a lynx bug or is there a way to get lynx behave like
other browsers?

Reproducing the problem:

    1. Go to http://www.ebay.com
    2. In the search box have something reasonable, say tv.
    3. Hit Find It.
    4. You should get a list of suggested items.
    5. Randomly choose one of the items.

Now try following the link marked as `view seller's other auctions'.

This results in an error screen. Prior to the error screen there is
an error message at the status line at the bottom of the screen, saying

    Alert! HTTP 1.0 400 bad request.

Now for the feature request or bug, I do not know which.

eBay support claims that Netscape and MS-IE, perhaps with the help of
a menu option can work this out and turn HTTP 1.1 protocol off. I am
not sure I got it right and I am also not sure if this is not a strict
violation of some standard. However, can lynx be configured to allow me
to view this link? There are other occurrences of this problem on eBay site.

- -- System Information
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Kernel Version: Linux rakefet 2.2.19pre17 #1 Thu May 10 19:09:42 IDT 2001 i586
unknown

Versions of the packages lynx-ssl depends on:
ii  libc6          2.2.4-3        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libncurses5    5.2.20010318-3 Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libssl0.9.6    0.9.6b-2       SSL shared libraries
ii  zlib1g         1.1.3-15       compression library - runtime

- --- Begin /etc/lynx-ssl.cfg (modified conffile)
.h1 Auxiliary Facilities
.h2 INCLUDE
.ex
INCLUDE:~/lynx.cfg for COLOR VIEWER KEYMAP
.ex
.h2 STARTFILE
STARTFILE:file://localhost/usr/share/doc/lynx-ssl/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
.ex
.h2 HELPFILE
HELPFILE:file://localhost/usr/share/doc/lynx-ssl/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
.ex
.h2 DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE
DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE:http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/MetaIndex.html
.h1 Interaction
.h2 GOTOBUFFER
.h2 JUMP_PROMPT
.h1 Auxiliary Facilities
.h2 JUMPFILE
.ex
.h2 JUMPBUFFER
.h1 Internal Behavior
.h2 SAVE_SPACE
.h2 REUSE_TEMPFILES
.h2 LYNX_HOST_NAME
.h2 LOCALHOST_ALIAS
.ex 2
.h2 LOCAL_DOMAIN
.h1 Character sets
.h2 CHARACTER_SET
.nf
.fi
.h2 ASSUME_CHARSET
.h2 ASSUMED_DOC_CHARSET_CHOICE
.h2 DISPLAY_CHARSET_CHOICE
.ex
.ex 4
.h2 ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET
.h2 PREPEND_CHARSET_TO_SOURCE
PREPEND_CHARSET_TO_SOURCE:FALSE
.h2 NCR_IN_BOOKMARKS
.h2 FORCE_8BIT_TOUPPER
.h2 OUTGOING_MAIL_CHARSET
.h2 ASSUME_UNREC_CHARSET
.h2 PREFERRED_LANGUAGE
.h2 PREFERRED_CHARSET
.h2 CHARSETS_DIRECTORY
.h2 CHARSET_SWITCH_RULES
.h1 Interaction
.h2 URL_DOMAIN_PREFIXES
.h2 URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES
.h2 FORMS_OPTIONS
.h2 PARTIAL
.h2 PARTIAL_THRES
.h2 SHOW_KB_RATE
.h1 Timeouts
.h2 INFOSECS
.h2 MESSAGESECS
.h2 ALERTSECS
.h1 Appearance
.h2 USE_SELECT_POPUPS
.h2 SHOW_CURSOR
.h2 BOLD_HEADERS
.h2 BOLD_H1
.h2 BOLD_NAME_ANCHORS
.h1 Internal Behavior
.h2 DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE
.h2 DEFAULT_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_SIZE
.h2 SOURCE_CACHE
.h2 SOURCE_CACHE_FOR_ABORTED
.h2 ALWAYS_RESUBMIT_POSTS
.h2 TRIM_INPUT_FIELDS
.h1 HTML Parsing
.h2 NO_ISMAP_IF_USEMAP
.h2 SEEK_FRAG_MAP_IN_CUR
.h2 SEEK_FRAG_AREA_IN_CUR
.h1 CGI scripts
.h2 LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON
.h2 LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE
LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON:FALSE
LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE:FALSE
.h2 TRUSTED_EXEC
TRUSTED_EXEC:none
.h2 ALWAYS_TRUSTED_EXEC
ALWAYS_TRUSTED_EXEC:none
.h2 TRUSTED_LYNXCGI
TRUSTED_LYNXCGI:none
.h2 LYNXCGI_ENVIRONMENT
.h2 LYNXCGI_DOCUMENT_ROOT
.h1 Cookies
.h2 FORCE_SSL_COOKIES_SECURE
.h1 Internal Behavior
.h2 MAIL_SYSTEM_ERROR_LOGGING
.h2 CHECKMAIL
.h1 News-groups
.h2 NNTPSERVER
NNTPSERVER:localhost
.h2 LIST_NEWS_NUMBERS
.h2 LIST_NEWS_DATES
.h2 NEWS_CHUNK_SIZE
.h2 NEWS_MAX_CHUNK
.h2 NEWS_POSTING
.h2 LYNX_SIG_FILE
.h1 Bibliographic Protocol (bibp scheme)
.h2 BIBP_GLOBAL_SERVER
.h2 BIBP_BIBHOST
.h1 Interaction
.h2 SCROLLBAR
.h2 SCROLLBAR_ARROW
.h2 USE_MOUSE
.h1 HTML Parsing
.h2 COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
.h2 TAGSOUP
.h1 Cookies
.h2 SET_COOKIES
.h2 ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES
.h2 COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS
.h2 COOKIE_REJECT_DOMAINS
.h2 COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS
.h2 COOKIE_STRICT_INVALID_DOMAINS
.h2 COOKIE_QUERY_INVALID_DOMAINS
.h2 PERSISTENT_COOKIES
.h2 COOKIE_FILE
.h2 COOKIE_SAVE_FILE
.h1 Mail-related
.h2 SYSTEM_MAIL
.h2 SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS
.ex 2
.ex 2
.ex 2
.ex 2
.ex 2
.h2 MAIL_ADRS
.h2 USE_FIXED_RECORDS
.h1 Keyboard Input
.h2 VI_KEYS_ALWAYS_ON
.h2 EMACS_KEYS_ALWAYS_ON
.h2 DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE
.h2 DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE_IS_NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS
.h2 CASE_SENSITIVE_ALWAYS_ON
.h1 Auxiliary Facilities
.h2 DEFAULT_BOOKMARK_FILE
.h2 MULTI_BOOKMARK_SUPPORT
.h2 BLOCK_MULTI_BOOKMARKS
.h1 Interaction
.h2 DEFAULT_USER_MODE
.h1 External Programs
.h2 DEFAULT_EDITOR
DEFAULT_EDITOR: /usr/bin/sensible-editor
.h2 SYSTEM_EDITOR
.h1 Proxy
.h2 HTTP_PROXY
.h2 HTTPS_PROXY