Re: lynx-dev (OT) HTML Button Question

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (OT) HTML Button Question
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:06:27 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Henry Nelson said:

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:03:35 +0900 (JST)
>
> > Is there any way to do what I want?  This would seem to be useful
> > in case I have multiple language versions of a page, but I always
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   | an aside: unless VERY simple, I would recommend offering multiple
>   | pages, one for each language.

Yah, that's what I meant to say.

> Perhaps this is not what you want, but generally I so this kind of
> thing with two separate statements:
>
> <input type="hidden" name="gakban" value="$gakb">
> <input type=submit value="** 答案を提出する **">

Ok.  Suppose (as in my real case) I have two different submit
buttons, perhaps:

    <input type=submit value="Preview">
    <input type=submit value="Download">

What do I put in the "hidden" input tag(s), and what gets sent
to the server when the user clicks on the "Preview" button or on the
"Download" button.  (And how would you code the Japanese version of
the page so the server needn't be Japanese-savvy?)

Further, I have <SELECT> and <OPTIONS> in the same <FORM> where the
user selects the item he wants to preview or download.  How does
that fit?

Here's a schematic example of what I have so far:
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>
PTF L1H10MS
</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<PRE>
Select an artist, then Preview or Download.
</PRE>
<FORM ACTION=../cgi-bin///my.cgi METHOD=GET>
Choose one: <SELECT NAME=artist>
<OPTION VALUE="davinci"> Leonardo da Vinci
<OPTION VALUE="renoir">  Auguste Renoir
<OPTION VALUE="picasso">  Pablo Picasso
</SELECT><PRE>
</PRE>
<BUTTON TYPE=submit NAME="act" VALUE="preview">See a preview</BUTTON>
<BR>
<BUTTON TYPE=submit NAME="act" VALUE="download"> Download this image</BUTTON>
</FORM>
</BODY></HTML>

I simply want to be able to decouple the text in the QUERY_STRING sent
to the server from the text appearing at the browser.  I recognize that
I could do this by making "Preview" and "Download" Options in YA
separate Select list and providing a single Submit button, but this
seems cumbersome for the user compared with having two distinct
submittal buttons.

Thanks,
gil
--