Re: lynx-dev Re: Need Win32 Lynx with support for HTTPS URLs

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Need Win32 Lynx with support for HTTPS URLs
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:37:23 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> The version distributed via www.cygwin.com appears to contain https support:
>
> $ lynx -version
> Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
> libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.6b
> Built on cygwin Aug  8 2001 09:50:20

I can confirm that this version has https support. I downloaded
it and was able to connect to SSL sites, including SSL-check at
fortify.net. Unfortunately, it is compiled with the openssl version
at Cygwin, which contains patented algorithms, such as IDEA and RC5.
The next release of openssl for Cygwin will have these algorithms
excluded, so that applications built with it will not have problems
with patent licensing in jurisdictions that recognize this type of
patent. See my exchanges with Corinna Vinschen on the openssl-dev
mailing list from January 13-14 of this year. In the meantime, anyone
using this lynx binary should be congnizant of potential patent
problems. See "http://www.mediacrypt.com/"; for information about IDEA
patent licensing. I don't have links for licensing information about
RC5 or MDC2.

Thanks for picking up the SSL support. The last time I checked this, a
few months ago, SSL support was not included.
                         Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden