Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:06:12 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:32:25PM +0200, Frank Heckenbach wrote:

> It's certainly the root of one problem. If the file contains the
> boundary at the start of the line, it gets truncated, e.g. the
> following file:
>
> foo
> --xnyLAaB03X
> bar
>
> appears as just `foo'.
>
> One solution would be to check whether the file contains the
> boundary and if so, encode it. Another, maybe easier one, would be
> to add enough random characters to the boundary, so a conflict is
> "almost impossible".

I looked briefly at it when I noticed this, and saw that implementing it
will be a little awkward (but it's on my list).

> > > It's not unlikely that some sites won't be able to deal with encoded
> > > files at all -- in fact, my own CGIs don't since I didn't even think
> > > of the possibility of encoding before and I hadn't encountered it so
> > > far. I'll add it in my programs (as soon as lynx supports the MIME
> > > headers so I can test it), but some other sites might not. So it
> > > might in fact be better if lynx won't encode any files (unless there
> > > are problems with non-text files that I'm not aware of).
> >
> > things like carriage-return/line-feed sequences would tend to be garbled
>
> I don't know. My version of Netscape (under Linux) doesn't seem to
> encode any files, including binaries, and I've had no problems about
> it so far. But I have no experience on Dos based systems.
>
> And another bug, present in 2.8.5dev.7, not in 2.8.4rel.1:
> Downloading seems to be broken. It does not save the right file, but
> rather the contents of the download page, like this:

yes - that's known (will be fixed in dev.8).  dev.8's slow coming because
my day-job dumped a huge task on me at the beginning of February.  I'm
starting to catch up (was in fact working on lynx last week).  But I'm
only about 1/3 through the patch.

The bug is the way I'm using mkstemp - quick fix: edit lynx_cfg.h to
say that it is not found.  (As you might expect, the bug does not appear
on the platforms where I'm using lynx).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net