Re: lynx-dev Windows problem

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Windows problem
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 17:32:45 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Philip Webb wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from landry Dale <address@hidden> -----
>
> From: landry Dale <address@hidden>
>
> I am a new Lynx user. OS - Win98

Which Windows binary are you using? There are several out there, all
compiled differently. None of them should put a bookmark file in a temp
folder. Lynx should put the bookmark file in the HOME directory, unless
set elsewhere in the options menu.

> I had the same problem many beginners do, with the bookmark file ending up
> in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Based on another user's suggestion,
> I changed my lynx.bat file to read:
>
>   @ECHO OFF
>   set term=vt100

You shouldn't have to set term.

> I get two error messages when I press "o":
>
>   "Alert! Unable to open tempfile."
>   "Alert! LYNXOPTIONS:/"

You need to run lynx with trace on before pressing "o", so that we can
see where lynx was trying to open the file.

> I can't imagine anyone wanting to keep their bookmarks and options
> in their Windows Temp file! To me, this problem comes under "beginner" stuff.

This isn't a usual beginners problem. Please let us know which lynx
binary you are using (i.e. what does "lynx -version" say. Where did the
binary come from? Did you compile this yourself or use a precompiled
binary from the web? If the latter, downloaded from which URL?).
                              Doug

--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden