lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:39:20 +0900 (JST)

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:58:46AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > It probably shouldn't have been #ifdefed in the first place.  Chuck, rather
> > than have any more of those SH_EX #ifdefs than necessary, would you mind
> > investigating whether it does indeed solve your problem, and then give a
> > recommendation to Tom as to whether to remove it and keep your fix, or if

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this.  I've been without e-mail for
two weeks, and in the meantime classes started up.

> said in response to Lloyd Rasmussen, it appears that this is part of Mr.
> Senshu's mod to turn table centering on and of with ^Q.  It appears
> that Mr. Senshu saw the same problem that I did, and decided to add an
> alternate behavior instead of just changing the existing one.  I'm

I think a lot of his mods work that way.  Mostly he seemed to be doing
it for himself to solve the problems created on a Windows environment and
Japanese encodings.  It seemed as though he was intimidated a little by
the main development tree, and preferred patching to actually asking for
modifications to the source.  (Totally my personal interpretation.)

> wondering, however, if there is any reason to retain the existing
> behavior.  I can't think of any, and it really seems to me that the
> existing behavior is just plain wrong.  If someone can come up with an

Now it's been so long, I've forgotten what had to be done.  (Maybe
you could post about three lines of a rendered table, i.e., p)rint
option, with table centering on, and with it off, using the ^Q toggle,
in addition to with/without (default) your modifications.)

> it would be better to just remove it all and not attempt to do any
> centering at all in this particular case, at least not until lynx can
> handle tables in such a way that centering would make sense.  There

I tend to think like you.  I really hate all that clutter in there when I
do find a few spare moments to delve into the code.  I'm not keen on
"remove" if you mean expunge from the code altogether.  Rather, I like to
see those pieces commented out (/* ...  */), with an explanation why it was
done.

I didn't see any comment from Tom on this thread, but then I got pretty far
behind and kicked off the list because of the bounces.  Maybe ask a directed
and short question again to Tom about what way he would like to see it
handled.  My $0.02 would recommend disabling the whole centering mess by
commenting out (not ifdefing).  I think that means adopting your patch(es)
and, in addition, cleaning up the unneeded SH_EX #ifdefs (^Q toggle).

> is ever used in the <TR> tag, because I can't for the life of me figure
> out why anyone would do such a thing.  How can you center a row as a
> whole in a table?  How would the columns line up if you tried?  Is that

The kind of tables I seem to have trouble reading in Lynx are those that
have a "O" or "X" for something like supported and not supported, e.g.,
                 Solaris  NetBSD  FreeBSD  Linux  Windoze
       Model 543    O        O       O       O       X
       Model 024    O        O       O       O       X
       Model 001    X        O       O       X       X

Doesn't Lynx do some thing like:
   Solaris NetBSD FreeBSD Linux Windoze
  Model 543 O O O O X
  Model 024 O O O O X
  Model 001 X O O X X

I haven't looked at the source of one of these for a long time, but I think a
lot of them rely on align="center" kind of stuff to get the effect they want.

Anyway, it would be nice if Lynx wouldn't scrunch everything to the left.

Not sure if this was useful discussion, but thanks for your work on Lynx.

__Henry