Re: lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:53:17 -0400

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 01:18:41PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> I'm sure you _can_ find tables in the which use <TR ALIGN="CENTER"> on
> every row; in some cases, to very good effect.  It _should_ do what Lynx
> and the other browsers you tested do.  You should only be changing the
> effect of centering on a whole-table basis.

My simple fix didn't touch the <TR> case, but only affected the <TABLE>
case, which has suited me fine for several years, so I have no objection
to that.  The ^Q mod affects both, so I guess my statement earlier that
the difference between the behavior of my modified version of lynx and
the stock version is identical to the difference between the two behaviors
that ^Q toggles between if SH_EX is defined wasn't exactly accurate.

> Imagine, for example, a poem which is meant to be symmetrical and shaped
> like (say) an hourglass.  Each of its rows should be individually
> centered for the best effect.

This works fine if you enclose the poem in "<CENTER>...</CENTER>", so it
doesn't need tables, and I think that's normally how that effect is done.
It would also work with <TD ALIGN="CENTER">.  I can't think of any case
where the align attribute makes sense in <TR>, and I *still* wonder if
it's ever used, so I don't care one way or the other what it does.

Chuck