Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:40:31 -0400

030529 Michael Warner wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> the basic reason for demanding cacheing c 1997-8 was the delay
>> when Lynx had to go back to the site to grab the source.
>> today with broadband, that is hardly a problem anymore.
> ... for people with broadband.  There's still a lot of 14.4
> and 28.8 modems out there in the world.  Including mine.
> I'd have to go to satellite to get broadband,
> ten miles from a semi-major university.  Don't forget the fringe users --
> though I guess that includes everyone using lynx, to some degree ...:)

yes, i suppose that's one aspect of technology in which the USA lags
some other countries, apparently due basically to FCC regulations.
Canada has much more broadband due to better regulation & lower prices
& the federal govt has a program to extend it even to remote regions;
IIRC the UK govt also plans to serve its (less) remote areas.

however, i was really looking ahead  2 - 3 yr ,
when broadband will have extended to many more areas in most countries.