Re: lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:46:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 06:15:45AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:13:39AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > > In utf-8 terminal, press /, then enter several 8-bit characters.  Now
> > > press Left, then enter a.
> > >
> > > One gets a corrupted display.
> >
> > Is it possible to use Lynx with utf-8 displays *at all*?  I go to
>
> viewing, not text-entry, should be workable.  It would be nice to make that
> work, but my priority is on the html parsing bugs.  I started on one of those,

The newer UTF-8 support in lynx is based on ncurses 5.3, which supports
display adequately.  The corresponding input mechanism (in ncurses 5.3)
is something I wasn't able to get enough feedback from users to see how
well it worked (which is why I'm working on dialog now).  So while it
would be nice to make lynx 2.8.5 release with the ability to read UTF-8
from the keyboard, it would rely on fixes for ncurses that haven't been
released.  dialog's a special case, since the users for those changes are
Debian unstable.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net