Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: how to maximize client area???, etc.

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: how to maximize client area???, etc.
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:45:15 +0900

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:50:51PM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> The table is the main organizer, and there is one case that
> in Lynx completely falls apart (uzing table for month in this

Lynx is seriously challenged (politically correct enough?) by tables.

There are things you can do: use a PRINTER or EXTERNAL definition in
lynx.cfg, or use Lynx's pseudoproxy mechanism.  There are undoubtedly
other ways.  I realize that Lynx is new to you and these methods will
seem unreachable at first, but in time (years) you will come to under-
stand that Lynx's remarkable power resides in these rich mechanisms.

Another possibility is to just give in and use another browser such as
"w3m" which handles tables better.  I suspect you could call w3m from
Lynx with a PRINTER define, but I'm not confident enough to direct you.
Maybe `` PRINTER:View page with w3m:/usr/local/bin/w3m "%s":FALSE" ''.
(Perhaps Chuck can give us a good one.)

Generally, my method to view tables in a throw-away sense, i.e., just
read it once and move on, is the following:
PRINTER:Display a table.:gawk -f /usr/local/bin/t2thtml <%s >%s:TRUE
This might be limited to use on a Unix system; I don't know.  Rather
than use Tom Zerucha's original "t2html", I'd recommend:
http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/lynx/enhanced/t2thtml.

HTH

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999