Re: [Lynx-dev] Behaviur in VT320 terminals

From: hsv
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Behaviur in VT320 terminals
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:50:15 -0500

Do you mean this (the application mode for vt100)?

        kcub1=\EOD,
        kcud1=\EOB,
        kcuf1=\EOC,
        kcuu1=\EOA,
<<<<<<<<
No, for " ESC O " is either SS2 or SS3, an alphabet extension (and I
wonder what has become of all that with Unicode).

I don't have a copy of X3.64 (since it was withdrawn, and replaced by ISO 6429
long ago), but the latter doesn't describe keys (input), just control sequences
(output).
<<<<<<<<
Twice true, but terminal-makers made their terminals s keys send the
same sequences as were intended for display (although that is not
quite right), subject to equivalence --" ESC [ 1 A " means the same
as " ESC [ A " and " ESC [ 0 A "--not something for which "termcap"
and offspring are well fitted-- but most makers use only one, that
which DEC used, argument omitted (but I have seen "1").

Since the use of this X3.64-ISO6429 has become so widespread,
surely it would be a good thing if "termcap" s heirs were designed to
assume it by default, with only deviations described.  I have seen in
distribution a capability for something in the Wyse class so defective
that surely no:one used it.  We would be spared such things.