Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Jeffrey D. Benton wrote:

> Thanks for the Lynx version with a built-in installer.  I've got it running
> now.
>
> I would like to set up a limited version of Lynx for myself and
> possibly for other users. I guess you might call me a potential
> administrator. I would like to permanently disable downloads--images,
> files, programs, etc.
>
> By "permanently" I mean for that particular downloaded/installed copy
> of Lynx. In my ideal situation, downloads would be impossible except by
> using a different browser, or if Lynx were the only browser on the PC,
> then by installing a different browser via CD-ROM. If an intelligent
> user can merely alter settings in order to enable downloads, that is not
> what I'm looking for.
>
> By download I mean transfer anything from the Internet to any of the
> local directories A:\, C:\, D:\ etc. I am using Windows 98SE. If your
> answer would become different for other operating systems, then we will
> address those questions as they come up. Right now I am only dealing
> with Windows 98SE computers.

Perhaps someone else on the list knows of a way, but I don't think
that what you want is possible with lynx running on Win98SE. You can
build a lynx binary that cannot access ftp sites, but I don't know of
a way to build lynx to be unable to save files to disk. Since Win98SE
doesn't really have security according to user, any configuration that
you do can be overcome by a knowledgeable user. You can certainly make
it difficult to save files to disk using "security by obscurity" by
changing the default key for downloads, setting the default directory
for saving to /dev/null, etc., but anyone who has write access to the
disk on the machine can bypass this by creating their own lynx.cfg
file.
                          Doug

--
Doug Kaufman