Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 MS Windows

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 MS Windows
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:54:26 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 04:16:32PM -0400, Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having difficulty getting utf-8 characters to show up on the
> screen in DOS cmd.exe windows.  I use the standard parenthesized batch
> coding to do it,
>
> (
> chcp 65001
> call lynx.bat
> chcp 437
> )
>
> and the TT Lucida Console fonts.

that's part of it.  But lynx has to be built using a wide-character pdcurses
(or wide-character ncurses) to provide Unicode in a console window.

> But the UTF-8 bytes show up as individual boxes even with UNICODE
> (UTF-8) in the options menu.  I am wondering if it is because the
> bytes are send to standard output one by one.  I find, using g77, that
> if I print each byte separately, they do not get recognized as part of
> a utf-8 character.  If however I print them as a single character
> string, they do show up correctly, most of them at least.
>
> This was using Windows XP and lynx 2.8.7.  I am trying to use it to
> show help files for some software of mine in case people do not have
> access to a GUI.

For most platforms, I'd ask what does
        lynx -version
say, but for windows, it's buried in the dll information (the wide-character
pdcurses.dll is 118784 bytes, while the non-wide one is a few hundred bytes
shorter).  The installers that I built last year use the wide-character
pdcurses.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net