Re: Proposed syntax for static make-also rule

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax for static make-also rule
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:27:22 -0500

At 08:20 PM 12/10/2002 +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
Risk assessment: Existing makefiles may break if the first character
of a dependency is & or | *and* they're written by a whitespace-phobic.

I'd suggest that "risk assessment" be expanded to include the possibility that some other make-alike uses this syntax for something else. We're not operating in a pure universe of GNU make users here, but rather one which includes potential GNU make users, people writing makefiles that must be compatible between GNU and other makes, people migrating to (or from) GNU make, etc.

For instance, the fact that some other makes use := for a different purpose than GNU make can cause trouble and would argue for some assurance that this won't become a similar case (it does seem unlikely; I certainly haven't heard of anyone else using &: or |: in dependencies).

Otherwise, it all sounds good to me.

David Boyce