Re: Proposed syntax for static make-also rule

From: Greg McGary
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax for static make-also rule
Date: 19 Dec 2002 08:21:16 -0700

Henning Makholm <address@hidden> writes:

> I've volunteered to add support for non-pattern rules that say that a
> single command updates several files, to GNU make. Paul asked me to
> let this list look at my proposed syntax before I start coding. So
> here I am.

Hi Henning,

FYI, I implemented this feature some months ago.
I used different syntax:

        [ TARGETS ] : PREREQUISITES

Adding square brackets around the list of targets to group them.
I like the "&:" syntax better, so we can forget about my syntax.

The backend implementation will work with any frontend syntax.  If you
don't have your own backend yet, I suggest you have a look at mine.
I'll post a patch when I find time over the next day or two.

Greg