Re: secondary expansion changes

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: secondary expansion changes
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:35:38 +0200

Hi Paul,

Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow.  45M of reachable memory and 3G of turnover is a LOT.  Whew.  Seems
> like you have the same sorts of issues as glibc.  I wonder where all
> that memory is going... strings?  struct file*?  struct dep*?

Good question. I know that there are about 7K pattern variables
and about 900 pattern rules. There are quite a few files involved,
but I wouldn't say more than a thousand or two. None of that really
explains the turnover or 45M of reachable memory at the end.

[BTW, the reason there are 7K pattern variables is because every
 definition is added to the list. For example, if I have:

 %.o: CFLAGS := -g
 %.o: CFLAGS := -g
 %.o: CFLAGS := -g

 All three assignments will end up in the list. I wonder if we can
 be smarter here?]

> What would be really nice is if you could run with --leak-check=full and
> send me the stack traces for the leaks.  Then I could see if they were
> the same ones I'm seeing when I run the regression tests.

Here is the log. I also added --show-reachable=yes:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/tmp/make-valgrind.log

> But, instructions on how to build your environment are welcome as well;
> it seems like a worthy test case to be added to my environment.

Ok, I will work on this. Which GNU/Linux distribution are you using?

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools  http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open-source XML data binding for C++:  http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd