Re: make ChangeLog dep.h filedef.h read.c remake.c ...

From: Matt McCutchen
Subject: Re: make ChangeLog dep.h filedef.h read.c remake.c ...
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:11:44 -0400

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 14:08 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> I added a feature to the test suite where we can define tests inside
> "if ($all_tests) ..." which won't be run normally, but only be run if
> -all is given to run_make_tests (or you can run "make check
> MAKETESTFLAGS=-all").
>
> What I'd like to do is get to triaging make bugs more quickly, where
> when a bug comes in we check it out and see if we can reproduce it
> fairly soon after the bug is reported.  If not we can ask for more info.
> Once we understand the bug we can set its "Triage Status" to Verified
> or, if we have some thought about how hard it is, to one of the other
> values.  And, if possible, we can add a regression test to reproduce it
> to the test suite, delimited by the $all_tests check so it doesn't cause
> the tests to fail.

I would instead recommend the approach taken by the git test suite:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;f=t/test-lib.sh

of running all the tests every time but reporting separate totals for
the tests expected to succeed and the tests expected to fail.  That way,
people don't have to remember to pass an option.

--
Matt