Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko

From: Nathan Myers
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:14:46 -0700

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:34:33PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> In IRC Datakko asked about empty commits from monotone. Right said that
> I read the thread on tla asking more or less the same.
> The tla guys decided empty commits explicit to be allowed and I think
> it's quite senseful. Read more at bottom.

It should be possible to do an empty commit, but it should be reported
as an error by default, because, while it may be a sensible thing to
do, it's more likely to be pilot error, e.g. committing in the wrong
directory.  The error message should say how to force it if that was
what you really meant to do.  The option to force it should be safe to
use all the time (i.e. not force anything else) so it can be used in
scripts.

Nathan Myers
address@hidden