Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:33:25 -0700

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:34:33PM +0200, Nico Schottelius quoted
someone who wrote:
> Here's two reasons [to allow empty commits in arch]:
>
> 1. This provides a mechanism for adding a note to the patchlogs without
> having to make a nonsense patch. (For example, 'blaming')

You can do this with 'monotone cert <version> note 'This patch sucks.'
Committing does a number of things, including claim authorship of this
revision, claim that it is a good version, etc. -- better to just do those
things directly if you want to.  They're basically orthogonal, it's
just that monotone helpfully bundles them up in the 'commit' command
because there's a number of orthogonal things you want to do every
time you commit.

> 2. If you get stuck in a position where you need to cacherev, but you
> don't have any code that you actually need to change, you can do an
> 'empty commit' to push a cacherev to a mirror.

I have no idea what those words mean (besides "arch is complicated",
perhaps).  Certainly this is not a concern for monotone.

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."