Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko

From: Adam Logghe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:17:51 -0700

As you mention it I was slipping into a bad old habit of doing another
commit with the log items I'd forgotten (pretty sad when i think about
it). So I will flipflop and agree with you. For >my< needs it is silly
and messy to do an empty commit. Praise to the Graydon that "cacherev"
is not in our vocabulary around here....

I can possibly see some need for a functionally identical copy that
stays in the same branch, I'm not going to make the "case" in a strong
way but...

If people begin to use certs in a consistent way in their work flow
there might be occasions where they had a bundle of certs that they
wanted to be different but there was no need for any code change in the
tree and they don't want a new branch....

I think that really says that there might be occasion for a "bump"
function maybe it should wait for someone who needs it to make the case...

But instead of Nathan's suggestion of a separate "note" cert I would
like to change or append to "changelog" for my needs. I want it to
appear in the log command for sure.

So-

hmmm weird behaviour(?).... I was trying to modify the cert "changelog"

monotone allowed me to add another "changelog" keeping both certs and in
fact "correctly" printing out both with the log command.

I notice that I  can have multiple keys with the same name which is not
what I would have expected and I don't think I like...it means certs I
add can have multiple values that are all "correct". "adams opinion"
"this patch sucks" and "adams opinion" "this patch rocks" will both
exist....

So should that be the correct behaviour? Or should it have overwritten?

If for some reason you want an audit trail every identical key, except
the most recent, should have "SUPERCEDED" in all caps next to them when
listed. I think that is perhaps the best of both worlds...

Either way, I would like some syntax sugar. Something like a plus in
front of the value.

monotone --db=yournewdb.db --branch=org.yourdomain.bookmarks cert 82
"changelog" +" Oh and I nuked the kerfooble too!"

Which would append to the existing cert value instead of overwriting.

Adam