Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone with argp

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone with argp
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:39:30AM +1000, Badai Aqrandista wrote:
> but i can't get argp to show a list of available options because it gives
> me segfault when i use the option to show them... i think it's the argp
> library that segfault... how do i know where the segfault comes from and
> how do i fix it?

To figure out where a segfault is coming from:
  $ gdb monotone
  (gdb) set args <args you want to pass to monotone, e.g. --help>
  (gdb) run
    <program runs for a bit, then gdb tells you that it has segfaulted
    and gives you a prompt>
  (gdb) bt
    <gdb prints out the stack at the time the error occurred>
You can also use gdb to do things like examine the values of various
variables when the segfault occurred, etc.; there are a number of gdb
tutorials out there...

The biggest thing is that for gdb to be very useful, you first have to
compile monotone with the "-g" switch to gcc.  The best way to do this
is:
  $ ./configure CXXFLAGS="-O0 -g" CFLAGS="-O0 -g"
(which means, compile both C++ and C unoptimized, with debugging
support); as a bonus, compiling without optimization will go an order
of magnitude faster...

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen