Re: [Monotone-devel] Vendor branch tricks & SVN mirroring

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Vendor branch tricks & SVN mirroring
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:34:27 -0700

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:59:11AM -0400, Eric Kidd wrote:
> On 7/1/05, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Not sure what you mean; monotone does handle directory moves
> > gracefully, as far as I know.
>
> My understanding is that if I add directory D1 on branch A, propagate
> to branch B, and move D1 to D2, that everything will work fine.
>
> But without an explicit representation of directories, if I latter add
> D1/F on branch B and propagate it, it will become D1/F, not D2/F.  Or
> has this been fixed?

The "no explicit representation of directories" thing is a little
confusing; it only applies to creating them.  (We're fixing this so
that we really truly do have explicit representation of directories
everywhere, which should remove the confusion...)

Your example doesn't need to be fixed, because it has always worked
correctly, for as long as we've supported renames at all.

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco