Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz can't parse?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz can't parse?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:56:28 -0800

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:57:36AM +0100, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
> Sure, shouldn't take much time ... if you can provide me with a
> revision that trips m-viz or, better, if you can point me to the
> precise grammar of revisions.

Probably a good thing to look at, since there are definitely things
that can show in revs now that have not been used in the wild...

Unfortunately, there's no prose description yet.  (I guess someone
should fix that.  Probably the "automate get_revision" documentation
in the manual is wrong and misleading now.)

But the code is reasonably easy to extract a grammar from -- the
relevant functions are:
  revision.cc:parse_revision
which calls
  revision.cc:parse_edge
which calls
  cset.cc:parse_cset
which does most of the dirty work :-).

Some major differences that come to mind:
  -- delete doesn't differentiate files and dirs (but add does)
  -- add doesn't come with a patch [] -> [foo] entry anymore
  -- attrs show up in revisions
Also note that the root directory is a directory (almost) like any
other, and is named "" (the empty string).  The first revision has to
add it, etc.

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould