Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:25:57 -0800

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 12:27:49PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pushed a current Swedish translation of monotone strings
> (copied from monotone.pot).  I was a bit surprised there was so little
> to translate, but thought it would at least be a start.

Where did you get the monotone.pot?  It isn't checked in to the
source tree, and the versions in distributed tarballs are really bad,
because of they were generated without the fixes that I just made in
the last few days.

I'm not an expert on this stuff at _all_, but I know at least Benoit
uses intltool, and that intltool currently works... so you might try
doing
  $ cd $MTCHECKOUTDIR/po
  $ intltool-update sv_SE
which is supposed to generate/regenerate the sv_SE.po file from
current sources.

(Should it be sv_SE or just sv?  IIUC po files only get _DIALECT
parts if there are multiple substantially different dialects of the
language in question; googling for sv.po vs. sv_SE.po and looking at
the number of hits suggests to me that sv is sufficient for
Swedish...)

> Then I wanted to try it out (and before you ask, yes, I'm sure it's
> the newly built monotone that I use :-)):
>
>   : ; LC_ALL=sv_SE monotone-0.26pre1 --help
>
> and everything comes out in English...  That's not quite what I
> expected, considering the help text was more or less all there was to
> translate to begin with.  I tried with LC_ALL=fr for good measure, but
> that didn't change anything...

AFAIK the only way to get gettext to find your translations is to
compile them and put them in the right magic, global location:
  http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gettext/gettext_148.html
Something like "/usr/share/locale/sv_SV/LC_MESSAGES/monotone.mo".

This is lame and annoying; I hope someone who knows more speaks up and
tells me what's wrong with this...

You also have to make sure your locales are properly generated; this
is somewhat complicated and I don't really understand it, but it's
per-system per-locale -- so if you can convince "ls" or "gcc" or
whatever to give you errors in Swedish, then this part is working and
you don't need to worry about it.

> This is the first time I do anything related to gettext, so I might
> very well be hit by something entirely obvious to others.  It may as
> well be that the gettext stuff is a bit wacky right now (what with
> that xgettext.opts problem I think I saw something about?).

The gettext stuff should be working in current mainline.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music