Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:59:11 -0300

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:16:40PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> > OK, I guess my next thing will be to look at the source, because I
> > just can't understand what selection criteria it uses.  For example,
> > there are a number of F() used in safe_map.hh, but that one isn't
> > anywhere in POTFILES*...
>
> I looked at the source.  It's hardcoded to check for _().
>
> I'm getting the feeling this all isn't the most elegant or polished
> toolset :-(.

I don't know about intltool, but in Postgres we use xgettext and you can
define a list of keywords to be used for extracting translatable
strings, using --keyword.  You can see a Makefile we use for all the
translation work here:

http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/browser/trunk/pgsql/src/nls-global.mk

and one example use here, on which the list of files is not hardcoded in
the makefile but rather sought using find:

http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/browser/trunk/pgsql/src/backend/nls.mk

A simpler usage of the same infrastructure:

http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/browser/trunk/pgsql/src/bin/initdb/nls.mk

Hope this is useful,

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.