Re: [Monotone-devel] some (negative) feedback -- useful reading

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] some (negative) feedback -- useful reading
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:31:09 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:16:05 +0000, Nuno Lucas
<address@hidden> said:

ntlucas> On 1/25/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
ntlucas>
ntlucas> I understand that the project is not considered mature by
ntlucas> it's developers for production use, but it's just such a good
ntlucas> project that people will end using it anyway and then feel a
ntlucas> bit disappointed when migration problems occur.

Yeah, in truth, that's more their problem than a monotone team
problem.  It's apparent that they're having unrealistic expectations.
Maybe we need to be clearer and more up front about incompatibilities
can occur.  From my point of view, the fact that the version number is
still 0.xx should be quite telling (although I can see the blur, since
there are some old projects that never seem to get to 1.0).

ntlucas> -- Some commands shouldn't need a working directory.
ntlucas>     Commands like log shouldn't need a working directory.

Uhmm, log doesn't necessarely need a working directory, you just need
to give it enough information to do its' job.  A database and a
revision number are a good start.

Cheers,
Richard

-----