Re: [Monotone-devel] cygwin buildbot [Was: 0.27 cygwin compile error]

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cygwin buildbot [Was: 0.27 cygwin compile error]
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:18:53 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> You might try asking on the list?  I haven't set up a buildslave under
> windows, but other people have...

Sure.

The first problem I had is that twistd doesn't find the "win32" reactor,
but I guess that is not a problem afterall, under Cygwin the default
ones should work.
Except it tries to do a switchUID and fails.
But, even not knowing Python at all, it was not overly difficult to
remove the call to that function and now the daemon starts and "works".

Well, in fact it does work, is the "mtn" child processes that don't work
that well.

Using SysInternals' FileMonitor I pinned the problem down to: sqlite
tries to create a file in my $SYSTEMROOT (C:\WINXP)!
It does so not only from the "build" user but from my user also, with
the obvious difference that my user CAN create such a file while the
"build" user cannot.
Since it is created at the very beginning and deleted at the very end I
guess it is either a lock file or a journal file (but I strongly think
it is a lock file).
I tried "unset SYSTEMROOT", to no avail: still the lock file (let's
assume it is) is tried there.
I guess cygwin's port of Sqlite still contains some "plain Win32" calls
to get the SystemRoot directory (Cygwin adds POSIX system calls, but the
"usual" Win32 calls are all still accessible).

Yes, indeed seems that sqlite's os.h treats Cygwin as a "WIN" build
instead of a "UNIX" one.
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/tktview?tn=1777,6
I'll try to compile a monotone with that changed, but as the comment on
that bug states, there may be some locking problems... I'll investigate
further.

If anyone already did this work and solved the problem, please tell me
so ASAP ;-)

--
Lapo Luchini
address@hidden (OpenPGP & X.509)