Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin buildbot [Was: 0.27 cygwin compile error

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin buildbot [Was: 0.27 cygwin compile error]
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:49:03 -0700

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 07:45:45PM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> "/home/build/mtbuildbot/monotone-buildbot/buildbot/slave/commands
> .py", line 201, in _startCommand
>             msg = " ".join(argv)
>         exceptions.TypeError: sequence item 4: expected string,
> NoneType found

Oh!  I bet this is just the usual issue that "force build" doesn't
work with the buildbot+monotone backend.  (The reason it doesn't work,
is that the "force build" implementation assumes that there's a way to
ask the VCS for the current head version, which it does by setting
the requested revision to None.  Then the monotone backend doesn't
have any special case for this, so it effectively tries to call "mtn
checkout -r None".  And this fails differently on win32 than posix,
because win32 has a weird process spawning API, so I didn't recognize
the problem before :-).

Shorter form: This error is normal, it means things worked.  For
further testing, we should leave it connected and let it try to build
new commits, instead of hitting the "force build" button.

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."