Re: [Monotone-devel] Scalability question

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Scalability question
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:07:25 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 14:47 -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:

> Internally, we don't really use manifests (much) anymore. Instead we
> use "rosters", which are private manifest-plus-merge-metadata objects.
> We currently store them as plaintext, but have been considering
> storing them as sets of database rows for performance reasons.

We were leaning this way as well in OpenCM. Sounds like it is time to
update the mtn manual. :-)

> We don't send manifests (or rosters) over the network. Instead we send
> revisions, which include a list of changes (add, drop, rename, patch,
> etc) againt the parent revision(s).

This very definitely will not scale to large numbers of revisions, as we
learned the hard way in OpenCM. From the description you give, it sounds
like you may be learning some of the same things we did (and like us,
learning the hard way).

I'll describe that evolution in a separate note.

shap