Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Scalability question

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Scalability question
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:50:54 +0200

On Friday 04 August 2006 22:25 Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> For example, the "mtn status" command gives status for
> every file in the project. If this output was PWD-relative, you would
> get things like:
>
>   [M]  fred.c
>   [D]  ../baz/mumble.c
>
> which would be confusing. Worse, the answer differs depending on your
> current directory, which was really confusing.

I fail to see why this would be confusing, especially in your example, as the
existance of '..'-style paths would show me *immediately* hat the output
cannot be relative to the wd's root.

Neither would I expect 'ls' to output everything relative to '/'.

Besides this, relative output would be especially usefull in cases where it is
re-used by other commands, e.g. in the shell completion system.

- Thomas

--
"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere."
-- Dr. Seuss