Re: [Monotone-devel] Feature Request: enhanced .mtn-ignore

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Feature Request: enhanced .mtn-ignore
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:23:44 +0200

On Friday 04 August 2006 20:01, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Monotone seems to have borrowed the .cvsignore idea directly
> for .mtn-ignore. When we did this for OpenCM, we introduced a small,
> backwards-compatible change that users really seem to like. I'ld like to
> propose that Monotone adopt what we did. It's useful, backwards
> compatible, simple to do, and I'ld be willing to supply the patch if
> people agree.
>
> The difference is that in OpenCM, we can explicitly *include* files.
> Rules are processed top to bottom. Here is a comparative example:
>
>    .mtn-ignore                     .opencm-rules
>     ====================           =====================
>     *~                             exclude *~
>     *.o                            exclude *.o
>                                    include anexception.o
>
> We don't use the include feature very often, but when we do it is very
> useful. The include feature lets us do two things:

Disclaimer: monotone user...

For me this would be useful too. I have one project (branch) where I wish to
store *.a files. My solution so far has been to have a monotonerc file in the
_MTN directory of this branch with a modified ignore hook. The drawback of
this solution is of course that files under _MTN can not be version
controlled so this change is local to the workdir.

/Johan