Re: [Monotone-devel] Feature Request: enhanced .mtn-ignore

From: Glen Ditchfield
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Feature Request: enhanced .mtn-ignore
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:46:34 -0500

On Friday 04 August 2006 13:01, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Specifically, I propose that .mtn-ignore files should be processed top
> to bottom (as in OpenCM), and that the legal input lines in
> a .mtn-ignore file should now be:
>
>    <RE>           -- processed as "exclude <RE>"
>    exclude <RE>   -- exclude files matching <RE>
>    include <RE>   -- include files matching <RE>

I like the idea. It would be tidier than the ingore_hook in my monotonerc,
which looks like:
-------
function ignore_file(p)
    f = string.find

    -- Mail/.filed.directory contains subfolders of KMail's "filed" folder.
    if f(p, "^Mail/.filed.directory/[^.]") then return false end
    if f(p, "^Mail/spam") then return true end
    if f(p, "^Mail/trash") then return true end

    -- Dot files are assumed to be unimportant.
    if f(p, "^%.") or f(p, "/%.") then return true end
--------

Nathanial Smith wrote:
> Perhaps the verbs should be "ignore" and "unignore" instead of
> "exclude" and "include"?
"ignore" and "accept"?  I don't like "include" because I expect it to
mean "#include".