Re: [Monotone-devel] Nested projects in workspace

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Nested projects in workspace
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:26:21 +0200

On Friday 04 August 2006 20:10, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> The manual seems to say that monotone takes the "one tree" approach --
> there is a top (root) directory for the project, and everything under
> that is assumed to be part of the project.
>
> In the EROS and Coyotos projects, we have found that this structure
> doesn't work for us. Several other OpenCM users have the same issues. I
> will describe one of the use cases below, but first let me describe the
> issue:
>
> ISSUE
>
> What we need is to be able to set up projects in subdirectories within
> the workspace. For example, we need to be able to do:
>
>    proj1-dir/dir1
>             /dir2
>             /proj2-dir
>
> In OpenCM, we identify this case by noticing the presence of a .opencm/
> subdirectory under the project root directory. This is analogous to the
> _MTN/ directory in monotone. When we are recursing up to find the
> project root, we stop at any directory D such that D/.opencm/ exists.
>
> When we are walking the workspace tree, and we are recursing into a
> directory D, we ignore the directory entirely if there exists a
> subdirectory D/.opencm/
>
> Does monotone already handle this, or does it have something analogous?
> Depending on the answer, would you consider a patch to add this behavior
> or (if it already exists) clarify this part of the documentation?

Disclaimer: monotone user...

I use this setup too for some projects. Currently I have a .mtn-ignore file
for the top project that lists the sub-projects. This way "mtn ls unkown"
does not list files in the sub-projects when issued in the top project.

I would like monotone to work like you suggest though:-)

/Johan