[Monotone-devel] Re: Nested projects in workspace

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Nested projects in workspace
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 20:51:51 +0100

"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> What we need is to be able to set up projects in subdirectories within
> the workspace. For example, we need to be able to do:
>
>    proj1-dir/dir1
>             /dir2
>             /proj2-dir
>
> In OpenCM, we identify this case by noticing the presence of a .opencm/
> subdirectory under the project root directory. This is analogous to the
> _MTN/ directory in monotone. When we are recursing up to find the
> project root, we stop at any directory D such that D/.opencm/ exists.

That mostly works already.

Indeed, I use exactly that kind of layout at present, since we have
OpenSSL as part of our build, and its build system changes checked in
files, so that would be very annoying if it weren't mostly ignored.

It works because monotone knows what files are supposed to be in its
workspace, and if you happen to have lots of other files, then it
mostly won't mention it.

The exception which occasionally hits me is "mtn ls unknown", for
listing files which I might have forgotten to add: that'll traverse
into nested workspaces and mention files in those.  I agree it would
be nicer if monotone had some explicit support for this.

In practice I don't find it matters much: I can do "mtn ls unknown ."
to limit the listing to files under some suitable directory, for
example.

[...]