Re: [Monotone-devel] Nested projects in workspace

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Nested projects in workspace
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:47:09 -0700

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:10:40PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> ISSUE
>
> What we need is to be able to set up projects in subdirectories within
> the workspace. For example, we need to be able to do:
>
>    proj1-dir/dir1
>             /dir2
>             /proj2-dir

This is a recurring feature request -- no objections in general, just
need some itchy people to hash out appropriate semantics for this kind
of stuff.

> When we are walking the workspace tree, and we are recursing into a
> directory D, we ignore the directory entirely if there exists a
> subdirectory D/.opencm/

We don't have any special handling for _MTN directories inside
subdirectories.  It would be simple enough to add, and I don't imagine
anyone would object -- again, just a matter of toits.

More generally, I guess the next feature people want is to come up
with ways to set up these sorts of nested trees (e.g., having a
checkout of the metaproject automatically checkout subprojects as
well), and then ways to version these setup rules.  (Prior art: cvs
modules, svn:externals, arch "configurations", see also Robert
Collins's "config-manager" tool.)  These are also features we'd be
happy to have, just no-one with the need and use-cases has sat down
and worked out exactly how things should work.

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield

This email may be read aloud.