Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: comments on net.venge.monotone.workspace-merge.

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: comments on net.venge.monotone.workspace-merge.migration
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:10:26 +0200

On 22 aug 2006, at 03:57, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

I'm leery too, just trying to balance that against inertia and
practicality -- the problem is that people (myself included!) have
come to depend on _MTN/revision as the only convenient way to get at
that information...

Note for instance that we have automate get_base_revision, so keeping
around _MTN/revision in the old format so that people can cat it seems
silly, and people who are _writing_ to _MTN/revision should know that
they are voiding their lack of warranty (as you put it IIRC) and may
have to change scripts.  It's not like there's no warning when things
stop working.

Sure.  And, hey -- automate get_base_revision_id -- that's a cool
command, thanks for pointing it out :-).  That definitely removes much
of my objection (maybe Marcel has an opinion too).

My (our) usecases are twofold:

1. reading _MTN/revision (automate get_base_revision is fine for that)
2. writing to _MTN/revision.

The second is the thing i use a lot. For our customers i install all products in a mtn working directory (mostly on our servers, but sometimes on location). This number grows on a weekly basis. (total is like 150 atm i think) Development continues as usual, while quite a few of the customer installs have their own changes.

I'm not married to writing to _MTN/revision but what i would like to be able to do is to set an arbitrary revid as the base revision to get information about what the workspace at the install is like in relation to that revision. Putting that revid in the revision file and using mtn status / mtn diff --external is the usual start sequence.

This currently allows me to quickly put a number of revisions in the _MTN/revision file and get a feel where the workspace is at and what needs to be done to upgrade/downgrade it to some revision we want. Recently, the mtn pluck command has been added to the toolset for these excercises :-)

I dont mind adapting scripts to account for another/better way to reach the same result, but the functionality is very comfortable.

marcel

--
Marcel van der Boom
HS-Development BV               --   http://www.hsdev.com