Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:28:36 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:
That doesn't make sense without specifying the file.  CVS versions
files independently, so there is no single CVS revision for a coherent
checkout (almost always, anyway).

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I meant to store something like:

file_foo.txt 1.75
file_bar.txt 1.9
TODO 1.1
README 1.5

per revision. Additionally one could save infos like: 'all CVS commits were between 27/08/2006 15:42:13 and 27/08/2006 15:42:19' or even:
'this revision overlaps in CVS with MTN revision 359a3f2...'

IMHO saving such information per revision make sense from the end-user perspective (i.e. is more or less human-readable). An cvsimport could theoretically be taught to parse this information. (I'm not sure if that is sufficient information for a resync, though).

And, except someone changes the underlying CVS repository by hand, there is no need to change this information for an already imported revision.

Regards

Markus