Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:28:04 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
As Lapo pointed out, I think you might have misunderstood... I didn't
mean to attach this information to file_id's.  I meant to attach it
to files in the tree, using the attr mechanism:
  http://venge.net/monotone/docs/File-Attributes.html
Such attrs are stored and transferred reasonably efficiently,

Hm, but why store that per file? Isn't the user more interested in questions like 'what CVS revision is this MTN revision equal to?'.

Likewise for the resync case: get the latest revision of each branch, compare the RCS file versions and see if there are new versions of each file. And assuming the underlying CVS is not edited by hand, you won't have to change past revisions.

So why not save this info in a revision cert?

Regards

Markus