Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:18:27 -0500

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 17:04 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Timothy Brownawell schreef:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 01:05 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Seems like what is really wanted there is a cross-database merge,
> >> where you declare some mapping  between trust in the upstream database
> >> and trust in yours (I think the security literature calls this
> >> "federation") and use that to copy across the bits you want.  I'd
> >> think this would be easier in monotone than in many other systems due
> >> to the content addressing...
> >
> > er, so monotone would have to learn to work with multiple databases,
> > now?
>
> Isn't that called 'netsync'?

Well, except that we were talking about limiting to having only one
trust seed per database. So, you'd have to know about the trust seeds
for both projects, but only actually have one of those designated as a
trust seed in any one db. Netsync is more, copy things from that db to
this db, rather than, work directly with what's in that db.

(I'd think you'd just specify what project(s) you were working with in
the same way as you have to specify what branch you're working with now,
so you could have 1-1 trust seed <-> project mapping, but any number of
projects per db.)

Tim
--
Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net