Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 01:05:52 -0700

On 9/7/06, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 22:18 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> For pretty much any
> operation, we need to know what trust seed to use, up-front -- this is
> dramatically simplified if there is only ever one trust seed to choose
> from.  And one database per project already seems to be the best
> practice anyway; I don't generally feel guilty about encouraging
> people to use best practices.

I'd think that that would make things like using merge_into_dir across
projects (like if upstream for botan or lua or sqlite was in mtn) a bit
of a pain.

Seems like what is really wanted there is a cross-database merge,
where you declare some mapping  between trust in the upstream database
and trust in yours (I think the security literature calls this
"federation") and use that to copy across the bits you want.  I'd
think this would be easier in monotone than in many other systems due
to the content addressing...

zw