[Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:11:44 +0100

"Justin Patrin" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> It seemed like this would be something that you can alter in your
> local database. You can commit a revision to your local trust branch
> to allow you to commit to whatever you want, then happily do
> whatever.  When you push the server would look at its trust branch
> before allowing your revisions to be sent/saved. This would include
> your trust revision so its policy branch would stay as-is and not
> allow you to push your revisions to their branch.

That would be the netsync way to do it, yes.  Alternatively, the
server could permit these changes, and then you apply the trust
decisions when doing "update", "merge", etc.  Just as monotone works
now (with the get_revision_cert_trust hook, mostly, but also the
testsuite one, I guess).

Both seem doable.  I guess the testing on use way would more easily
allow changing policy: you'd have a reasonably fixed database, and the
various access decisions could change as the policy changed.