Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:45:08 -0700

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:24:33AM +0200, Albert Ramstedt wrote:
> Im sorry but I have been working with that project a lot since I mailed
> you, so I dont know if that would do you any good.

Okay.

> Although, I think I know what caused the bug. Consider the following
> scenario:
>
> I create the dir for a file (not added in mtn)
> I mtn mv a file into the directory (which worked)
> I then try to mtn add the directory.
>
> This produced the error for me.

Hmm, I can't seem to get it.

$ mtn add foo; mtn commit
$ mkdir bar
$ mtn mv -e foo bar
--> gives an error message, leaves me with foo and bar where they are,
and a record of a rename from foo -> bar in _MTN/work... sort of a
screwed up situation that we could handle better, but no assertion
failures.

$ mtn add foo; mtn commit
$ mkdir bar
$ mtn mv -e foo bar/foo
--> works fine, automatically adds bar as a side-effect

Well, if you run into it again, let us know!

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco