[Monotone-devel] Re: cvs import

From: Jon Smirl
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs import
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:38:11 -0400

On 9/13/06, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:
Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Jon Smirl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Let's copy the git list too and maybe we can come up with one importer
>> for everyone.
>
> It's a really good idea. cvsps has been for a while a (limited, buggy)
> attempt at that.

BTW: good point, I always thought about cvsps. Does anybody know what
'dump' format that uses?

cvsps has potential but the multiple missing branch labels in the
Mozilla CVS confuse it and its throws away important data. It's
algorithm would need reworking too. cvs2svn is the only CVS converter
that imported Mozilla CVS on the first try and mostly got things
right.

Patchset format for cvsps
http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/README

AFAIK none of the CVS converters are using the dependency algorithm.
So the proposal on the table is to develop a new converter that uses
the dependency data from CVS to form the change sets and then outputs
this data in a form that all of the backends can consume. Of course
each of the backends is going to have to write some code in order to
consume this new import format.

For sure it's algorithm isn't that strong. cvs2svn is better, IMHO. The
proposed dependency resolving algorithm will be even better /me thinks.

Regards

Markus

--
Jon Smirl