Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using monotone in a team

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using monotone in a team
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:37:42 -0600

On 12/1/06, Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> [...] I and J setup some fancy Lua hooks that allows us to proceed with
> development in the way previously outlined.
>
> Now, if I am correct, a third user, K, can clone our work, and start
> his own development, independent from ours, so using his own policies
> for branching, attaching certs and so on.
>
> After six months, K joins our group, how do we reconcile the
> repositories ?  How do we extend the original for ABC and IJ policies,
> such that e.g. K can work on D as an expert, with all necessary certs
> and trust relationships ?  Preferable without losing any history, this
> is ...

>From what I understand the history is no problem. When K synchronizes his
database with the others all revisions since the fork 6 months ago are
transmitted?

Regarding certs and trust relationships: It all depends on the local
configuration of each and every developer. In your example everyone would
need to change his local configuration so that changes in D only show up in
workspaces once they are approved by the expert K (or if K is the author).
Is this the problem you thought of that everyone has to change the
configuration for the new developer?

Well, what I really want to do is have a mechanism that automatically
distributes the necessary hooks from one central point.  For sure the
members of the same team need the same trust policies, local
alterations not allowed.  So if you want to join the team, you first
have to synchronize the trust policies.  This does not preclude simple
cloning for private work.  Perhaps the right question is, does this
layer belong to monotone or not ?

Hugo

--
                   Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

                 Research Imaging Center
  University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                   7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                   Phone: 210 567 8112
                     Fax: 210 567 8152