Re: [Monotone-devel] kibi!

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] kibi!
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:59:48 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:00:26 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 06:12:17PM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
njs> > In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:35:23 +0200, Lapo
Luchini <address@hidden> said:
njs> >
njs> > lapo> As it goes 1000 bytes is 1 kilobyte (1 kB)
njs> > lapo> while 1024 bytes should be called 1 kibibyte (1 KiB).
njs> >
njs> > That's what I would call newspeak...
njs>
njs> That's a strange stance, since kilo has meant 1000 back to at least
njs> the mid 19th century: http://www.bipm.org/en/si/history-si/

That's applying a decimal system on a binary system.  The choice 1024
is, of course, the closest possible in a binary system that is still
humanly comprehensible.

The stance is based on the fact that 1000 is a power of 10 and 1024
(decimal) is a power of 2.  1000 (decimal) is in no way a power of 2,
and 1000 (binary) is just too ridiculous to talk about...

njs> (Why are we talking about this on monotone-devel?)

Beats me, I'm just responding to what is said here.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/