[Monotone-devel] Re: kibi!

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: kibi!
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:35:40 +0200

Nicolas Ruiz wrote:
> I could go either way. But can't fail to notice that kilo does come from
> the greek word meaning "thousand" and bytes and bits are the only
> exception to the rule.

And not really, even!
Only bit and bytes *in the computer science world*, as bit and bytes in
the telecommunications world are almost always 1000.

A 64KB ISDN line really is 64000bps, as it is made for a human voice
sampled at 8kHz with 8 bit per sample.
A 10Mbps Ethernet really is 10000000.
and so on...

That's also why, with "sync" I feel a bit of clarity is needed: line
speeds are much more often 1000 than the rest of the "sizes" (OTOH the
size of a file on a HDD was never wrote as 1000s AFAIK).

    Lapo

PS: anyway, a 2.4% error in an "informative message" is not a big deal.