Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b5

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b55da6b26464380c68b8c02638a68
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:16:28 -0700

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 05:04:15PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > * cmd_diff_log.cc (print_indented_set): Replace the empty string printed
> >   for the project root with a single dot.
> > * tests/merge_into_workspace: Fix test accordingly.
>
> Thanks. Can you also apply something similar to the output of mtn stat"?
> There one has a similar nice output like "attr on \n" instead of "attr
> on ."

It's more confusing on stat, since stat can be called from
subdirectories of the root... of course, it always gives paths
relative to the root anyway, so at least it would still be consistent.

My suggestion for this has been to have a uniform function for
formatting paths for user display (in log, stat, etc.), that would
look like:
   file_path("foo") -> "'foo'"
   file_path("foo bar") -> "'foo bar'"
   file_path("") -> "'' (the root directory)"
(The uniform function part is probably more important than the exact
output, because the output is easy to tweak once it's been centralized
to one point in the code.)

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."