Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b5

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b55da6b26464380c68b8c02638a68
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 01:36:18 +0000

On 10/31/07, Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2007 10:12 AM, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Eh..  a dot normally means current working directory, not project root.
> > Can we *please* use some other sign or name or anything?
> >
> > IMO, disregarding the current working directory is already annoying
> > enough. But introducing ambiguity with path names is an absolute
> > non-starter.
>
> Whatever happened to the suggestion of prefixing every pathname with a
> sequence of "../" as necessary to make them relative to the original
> working directory?  (And of course removing any redundant bits.)  Then
> "." would be unambiguously the root if the command was executed in the
> root, and if you were somewhere else the root would be "../../.." or
> something like that.

My humble sugestion would be to leave things as they are, but have
monotone try to match the given path to the "mtn ls known" set if the
file can't be found.

I would love if I could be in sub-directory "y" and do an "mtn diff
x/somefile", where somefile is the copy/paste of an "mtn st". It would
be even better if I could do an "mtn diff somefile" and monotone would
"automagically" find the single file with the same name in the
repository (it would be alright to fail if more than one could be
found).

This way we don't need to display uggly "../" parts and can please everybody.

I'm also in favor of displaying the empty root dir as something like "(root)".

Best regards,
~Nuno Lucas