Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b5

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b55da6b26464380c68b8c02638a68
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:25:46 -0700

On Oct 31, 2007 10:12 AM, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eh..  a dot normally means current working directory, not project root.
> Can we *please* use some other sign or name or anything?
>
> IMO, disregarding the current working directory is already annoying
> enough. But introducing ambiguity with path names is an absolute
> non-starter.

Whatever happened to the suggestion of prefixing every pathname with a
sequence of "../" as necessary to make them relative to the original
working directory?  (And of course removing any redundant bits.)  Then
"." would be unambiguously the root if the command was executed in the
root, and if you were somewhere else the root would be "../../.." or
something like that.